Monday, April 06, 2009

Part one of the HD Tower.

OK I figured what I need to do to activate the power supply. Basically momentarily connecting pin 6 to 3 on the power supply connector.

I ordered 6 USB to IDE/SATA cables and 2 x 7 port USB Hubs off of ebay. The price was great but the shipping cost was not so great. Should be getting  these things within the next 2 weeks.

Out of  the G4 there are things that can still be sold  for some decent money or at least to cover the cost of  this project. The RAM, Video Card, Modem, and  the most important one, the Sonnet  Encore G4/1000mhz Upgrade processor. The Motherboard I believe is fading away on a daily basis therefore will be trashed unless someone wants it for parts. Any Takers?

My Guess is that it will work well. however I am assuming it  might not be as fast as a real Hard Drive unit. 

I am wondering if I should install individual Power switches for each device. Considering there will be up to 6 ide/sata units installed that might be a good idea. One of those units is a DVD/RW that I would not be needing very often and only the 2 x 20gb HD's will be used regularly for backup purposes. 

Any way, once I get started I will take some pictures and try to document my progress.


MacPhreak out..............

No comments: